For these herbed tarts, prepare the Figs Pizza Dough, but let it rise in one ball rather than four.
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 recipe Figs Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, and flat-leaf parsley
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Black Olive Paste
- 1 cup assorted black and green olives, pitted
- 2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 6 to 8 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a pizza stone on the center rack. In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onion, and cook until soft and golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/2 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. Evenly scatter butter over dough. Sprinkle with herbs. Fold dough into thirds, like a business letter. Roll out dough again, and repeat folding process. Set dough aside, and let rest until no longer elastic, 30 to 45 minutes.
Divide dough in half. Working with one piece of dough, roll into a 10-inch round, about 1/4 inch thick. Place on pizza peel, and fold over 1 inch of the dough around the edges, forming an edge all the way around. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil, and spread with 1/4 cup black-olive paste. Add 1/2 cup onions in an even layer, and scatter with 1/3 cup olives and 1/3 cup goat cheese. Season with pepper. Place 3 to 4 anchovies on the top of the tart. Transfer tart to oven, and bake on pizza stone until crisp and golden brown and the goat cheese is slightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Repeat with second dough ball and remaining ingredients. The tart may be served warm or at room temperature.