Georges's Butter Sauce
This recipe, which accompanies the Potato Fritters with Truffles, comes to us courtesy of Georges Blanc, the famed French author, restaurateur, and hotelier.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon truffle juice (optional)
In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine wine and shallots. Bring to a boil, and cook until 1 tablespoon of liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Add cream, and reduce slightly. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly until fully incorporated. Work on and off heat as necessary to prevent sauce from breaking (separating). Pass through a fine-mesh sieve. Add curry, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add truffle juice, if desired. Set aside and keep warm.