This Indian spin on vegetarian rice pilaf is filling enough to be served as a main course as well as a side dish.
Source: Mad Hungry, May 2011
- 1/3 cup plus two tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 10 ounces frozen peas
In a blender, combine 1/3 cup oil, onion, salt, spices, ginger, shredded coconut, and 1/4 cup coconut milk.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large straight-sided skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Toast the rice until lightly golden. Add the spice puree to the rice. Stir until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
Add remaining coconut milk, 2 1/3 cups water, potatoes, and carrots to the skillet. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed into the rice, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the peas, cover, and steam until the peas are warmed through, about 5 minutes.