Simple Turkey Brine
Use this recipe to brine the Roasted Turkey that's part of Scott and Heather Fratangelo's Thanksgiving menu.
Source: Blueprint, November/December 2007
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound kosher salt (1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 fresh turkey (14 pounds), giblets removed and reserved
Wrap seeds, peppercorns, and bay leaves in a square of cheesecloth; tie with kitchen twine. Bring 2 gallons water, the salts, and brown sugar to a boil in a very large pot, stirring to dissolve. Add bundle, garlic, thyme, and parsley. Let cool completely. Fully submerge turkey, weighting it down with a plate topped with cans if necessary. (In lieu of a large pot, you can use a brining bag.) Refrigerate the turkey overnight.