Chef Marcus Samuelsson, of New York City's Restaurant Aquavit, serves this aioli with fish and chips.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped potatoes (about 1/2 of a small potato)
- 1 very small onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add almonds, potato, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Transfer to a blender and puree, adding enough water to make the mixture smooth. Add egg yolks and mustard. With machine running, slowly add remaining olive oil and blend until smooth. Season with Tabasco, salt, pepper, and lime juice.