Cream Cheese Frosting
Vegetable cakes (such as carrot and zucchini) are the perfect platform for swoops of this tangy cream cheese frosting.
- Yield: Makes 6 cups (enough to frost an 8-inch layer cake)
Photography: Pål Allan
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- 2 pounds cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese, butter, and 1 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until combined. With machine running, add remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes more.