This recipe for an aromatic assortment of olives come to us from chef Todd English.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- Grated zest of 1/2 orange
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves, or heaping 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups assorted olives, such as nicoise, kalamata, picholine, alphonso, and/or Sicilian green
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to cover
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel-blade attachment, place orange zest, lemon zest, garlic, parsley, rosemary, oregano, ginger, fennel seeds, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the mixture forms a chunky paste.
In a bowl, toss olives with the marinade, and cover with olive oil. Serve immediately, or place in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.