- Yield: Makes about 14 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2003
- 5 to 6 pounds chicken backs, necks, and wings (or one 5- to 6-pound chicken)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches (about 20 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 3 hours.
Prepare an ice bath. Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl set in the ice bath. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until room temperature. Transfer to airtight containers.