Fresh-Fig Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This delicious recipe is courtesy of chef Michelle Bernstein.
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, ends trimmed, sliced in half horizontally
- 1/4 cup store-bought fig jam
- 3/4 pound fontina cheese, sliced
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 8 to 10 fresh figs, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary Oil
Heat a griddle over medium heat.
Spread cut sides of bread with fig jam. On the bottom half of the bread, layer 1/2 the cheese, then the ham, the figs, and the remaining cheese. Enclose with the top half of the bread. Brush with rosemary oil. Place on griddle or in a nonstick skillet, and weight top of sandwich with a heavy skillet or a foil-lined brick. Cook until bottom is golden, about 4 minutes. Flip sandwich over, and repeat with opposite side. Cut crosswise into 6 to 8 pieces; serve immediately.