Yogurt thickens this vibrant dressing and tempers its spices. Making your own spice blend yields the best flavor. But in a pinch, substitute 2 teaspoons store-bought curry powder.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 whole allspice berry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, onion, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until softened and beginning to turn translucent, about 9 minutes.
Meanwhile, process cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and allspice in a spice grinder until finely ground. Place in a food processor, and add onion mixture, turmeric, yogurt, salt, lemon juice, and sugar; process until smooth.