Chicken Soup with Rice
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Fall
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, plus more roughly chopped for garnish
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 leek, white and light-green parts, thinly sliced and washed well
- 8 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
- 1 whole skinless and boneless chicken breast
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
Make bouquet garni: Bundle peppercorns, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf in cheesecloth; secure with kitchen twine.
Heat butter in a small stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and leek; cook until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add stock and bouquet garni, and bring to a bare simmer. Add chicken; poach, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate. When cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces with your hands or a large fork. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add carrots, celery, and rice to stock; cook until vegetables are tender and rice is done, about 18 minutes. Return chicken to pot until heated through. Serve in soup bowls; garnish with parsley.