Brown Butter, Sage, and Mushroom Stuffing
This stuffing recipe -- a perfect Thanksgiving side dish -- is courtesy of chef Emeril Lagasse and goes well with his Roasted Turkey Breast.
- Servings: 8
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 3 teaspoons plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium store-bought chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon, about 2 ounces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 pound shiitake or button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- French or Italian-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Butter a 9-by-9-inch square baking dish or a 10-by-6 1/2-inch oval baking dish with 2 teaspoons butter. Cut a piece of foil large enough to cover the dish and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper with 1 teaspoon butter. Set prepared dish, foil, and parchment aside until ready to bake.
In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, egg, and egg yolk; set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add bacon and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and celery and cook until softened, about 4 minutes more. Increase heat to high and add mushrooms, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes; stir in garlic. Remove skillet from heat and add parsley and sage. Transfer mushroom mixture to a medium bowl and add breadcrumbs, stirring carefully to combine; season with salt and cayenne pepper. Add chicken broth and egg mixture to stuffing, stirring until well combined. Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small skillet over medium heat until bubbling and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Drizzle brown butter over stuffing and cover with prepared foil. Set baking dish on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake for 25 minutes, uncover, and continue baking 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and let stuffing cool for 5 minutes before serving.