Roasted Corn Salsa
Roasting intensifies the corn's sweetness.
- Yield: Makes 5 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 1994
- 4 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat a grill or broiler to medium hot. Brush corn with melted butter, and place on grill or under broiler, turning often, until about half the kernels are brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove corn from heat, and let cool. Using a sharp knife, cut kernels from cobs.
Combine corn kernels, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season to taste with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Serve.