Sauteed Zucchini and Yellow Squash with Mint
Lemon juice and fresh mint add bright notes to a quick saute, which would make an ideal accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2000
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow squash (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, cut into thin ribbons (or 1/4-inch-thick julienne)
Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook garlic and onion, stirring, until translucent but not yet softened, about 2 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining oil along with the zucchini, squash, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle the mint on top, and serve immediately.