Maroni's Tomato Sauce
Serve with Grandma Maroni's Meatballs.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Bring sauce to a simmer; let simmer for 20 minutes.