Lobster Salad with Grapefruit, Avocado, and Hearts of Palm
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 4 lobsters, 1 1/4 pounds each
- 2 ruby-red or pink grapefruits
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallots
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon basil or regular basil, plus leaves for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 4 hearts of palm, cut in 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 large head Boston lettuce (8 ounces), well washed and dried
Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring two inches of water to a boil in a large stockpot. Steam lobsters for 10 minutes; transfer to ice bath to cool. Break off claws and tails; use bodies to make a stock, or discard. Split tail lengthwise with a sharp knife; remove meat. Slice tail into bite-size pieces. Remove claws from shells, keeping whole if possible. Chill lobster meat in the refrigerator.
Supreme the grapefruit: Cut ends off grapefruit; remove peel, pith, and outer membranes. Lift sections away from the membranes, and reserve. Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from membranes into a bowl for dressing.
Place shallots, mustard, vinegar, juice, and lemon basil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Gradually whisk in olive oil; adjust seasoning.
Cut avocados into 1/2-inch-thick wedges; coat with a little grapefruit juice to prevent discoloration. In a large bowl, combine avocado, lobster, grapefruit, and hearts of palm. Line individual glass serving dishes with lettuce leaves. Tear remaining lettuce into bite-size pieces; add to lobster mixture. Drizzle salad with dressing; toss. Fill lettuce leaves with salad; garnish with lemon basil, and serve immediately.