Madhur's Green Lentils with Lemon Slices
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2006
- 1 cup green lentils (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lemon, peeled, pith removed, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 hot dried red chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed and peeled
Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cook, partially covered, until very tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Stir in salt and cilantro; remove from heat. Add 8 lemon slices; stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat; add mustard seeds. After a few seconds, seeds should begin to pop; add chiles. When chiles have darkened, add garlic; stir to combine. Top lentils with mustard seed mixture.