Brown Rice Stir-Fry with Flavored Tofu and Vegetables
Brown rice gives this vegetarian stir-fry a nutty flavor and hearty texture and offers up more fiber than white rice has.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Lisa Cohen
Source: Body+Soul, January/February 2006
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece (3 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces baked, flavored tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add tofu; stir-fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add red and yellow peppers; cook, stirring, until peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
Add rice and soy sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with scallions. Serve hot.