Mexican-Style Tomato Salad
This simple side is a Mexican rendition of an Italian caprese salad.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2006
- 1 3/4 pounds tomatoes (3 to 4 medium), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted, peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and halved crosswise
- 1/2 lime
- 6 ounces queso fresco
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, separated into small sprigs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Arrange tomatoes on a platter. Season with salt. Arrange avocado slices on top of tomatoes, dividing evenly.
Squeeze lime juice over top. Crumble queso fresco over top. Top salad with cilantro leaves. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve (up to 1 hour).
Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil before serving.