Poached Dried Apricots and Currants with Zabaglione
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 navel oranges, thinly sliced
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod reserved for another use
- 2 green cardamom pods, smashed
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 40 dried apricots (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup currants
Bring water, wine, sugar, honey, oranges, vanilla seeds, and spices to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 8 minutes.
Add apricots and currants. Cover, and cook until apricots have softened, about 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, reserving liquid and transferring fruit to a bowl. Simmer liquid until reduced to 1 cup, about 6 minutes. Strain syrup through fine sieve. Pour syrup over fruit. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with zabaglione.