Spiced Roasted Chicken
Warm spices and a burst of citrus breathe new life into a simple roasted chicken.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Everyday Food, May 2011
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed and patted dry, legs tied
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, halved crosswise, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 orange, unpeeled, cut into 8 wedges
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, combine spices. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then rub all over with spice mixture. Place in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid. Arrange vegetables and orange wedges around chicken and add 1/2 cup water. Cover and roast 30 minutes. Remove lid and roast until skin is golden brown and juices run clear when chicken is pierced between breast and leg (an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh, avoiding bone, should read 165 degrees), 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables and orange wedges.