Serve the aioli with our Flash Fried Squid. This recipe has been adapted from "Tom Douglas' Seattle Kitchen" by Tom Douglas with Denis Kelly, Shelley Lance, and Duskie Estes. Copyright 2001 by Tom Douglas. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow & Co., Inc.
- Yield: Makes 1 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2001
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, and garlic. With the machine running, slowly pour the olive oil in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube. The mixture will emulsify into a mayonnaise. Add the herbs, and process to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the aioli to a small bowl, cover, and keep refrigerated.