Chicken with Broccoli Rabe, Tomatoes, and Beans
Creamy cannellini beans, acidic tomatoes, fragrant garlic, and bright lemon juice help balance broccoli rabe's natural bitterness for a side that serves roast chicken beautifully.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Everyday Food, May 2011
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed, patted dry, and quartered
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped almonds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, for serving
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks in middle and lower thirds. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet and add chicken, skin side up. Bake on middle rack until chicken is cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
After 25 minutes, toss broccoli rabe and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables on bottom rack and bake 15 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, and almonds to sheet with broccoli rabe and bake until broccoli rabe is tender when pierced with a knife, 5 to 10 minutes. To serve, divide chicken and vegetables among 4 plates and drizzle with lemon juice.