When the egg white has been properly beaten, no clear liquid will remain on the bottom of the bowl.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 3/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups pecan halves, or assorted nuts, such as cashews, walnuts, or almonds
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg white until soft and foamy. Combine all remaining ingredients except pecans; whisk into egg white. Stir in pecans until well coated; spread mixture in single layer onto an ungreased baking pan.
Bake pecans for 15 minutes, then remove from oven. Using a metal spatula, toss, stir, and separate nuts. Reduce oven to 250 degrees and return nuts to bake until medium brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; toss, and stir again. Place baking pan on wire rack to cool (they will crisp as they cool). Break up any that stick together.