This meringue is used for Pavlova. It will produce a meringue that is crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- Yield: Makes 7 to 8 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1996/1997
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
Combine egg whites, lemon juice, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip, first on low speed, then slowly progressing to high speed, until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 minutes.
Slowly sprinkle the sugar a little at a time over the egg-white mixture, and whip until glossy peaks are formed, about 3 minutes.
Sift the cornstarch over the meringue, and fold in. Use meringue immediately.