Brussels Sprout Leaves and Crunchy Garden Radishes
This tasty recipe from Ubuntu chef Jeremy Fox is featured in our Fresh and Festive Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound assorted radishes, such as redhead, D'Avignon, zlata, amethyst, icicle, or plum, washed, dried, and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons almond oil
- Whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Celery heart leaves, for garnish
Trim about 1/4 inch from the stem end of brussels sprouts. Peel leaves to separate. When brussels sprouts become difficult to peel, trim off another 1/4 inch from stem and continue removing leaves; discard cores. Rinse leaves and pat dry; set aside.
Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and a pinch of salt; season with pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brussels sprout leaves and cook, stirring, until leaves are coated and tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a medium bowl, toss radishes with almond oil and season with salt and pepper. Place brussels sprout leaves on a platter and top with radishes. Garnish with almonds and celery heart leaves; serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, November 2009