Zucchini Nut Bread Cookie Sandwiches
These cookies, cousins of zucchini bread, are perfect for packing up as picnic fare -- even if the picnic table is right in your kitchen. A sweet cream-cheese filling goes in the middle. Print these nifty labels onto adhesive paper or attach with double-sided tape.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a bowl. Beat 1 stick butter and the sugars until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Beat flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix in zucchini, oats, and walnuts. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop (about 2 tablespoons), drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
Beat together remaining 1/2 stick butter, the cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon filling onto the flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich with another cookie. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March 2011