Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie
To ensure your cookies come out just right, follow a couple of basic rules: Space them at least 1 inch apart during baking, rotate the sheet pan half way through, and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1 to 2 minutes before transferring to wire cooling racks. From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), softened, plus more for the pans
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter or line 2 rimmed baking sheets.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugars, egg, vanilla, and water. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets, spacing the dough 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden in color. Remove to cooling racks.