These fried vegetarian patties can be served in salads or pita sandwiches.
- 1 3/4 cups Cooked Dried Chickpeas, or 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup safflower or canola oil
- For serving: pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, romaine lettuce leaves, and store-bought tahini sauce.
Place half of chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times until chopped, transfer to a large bowl.
Place remaining chickpeas in food processor with garlic, onion, herbs, spices, baking soda, salt, and lemon juice. Pulse to a thick, chunky paste, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with chopped chickpeas.
Add egg and sesame seeds to bowl and stir to combine. Cover and chill batter in fridge 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil shimmers, drop heaping tablespoons of batter into skillet and gently press batter into 2-inch-round patties. Cook, turning once, until deep golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Serve falafel with pita bread, sliced tomatoes and red onion, romaine leaves, and store-bought tahini dressing.