Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steaks
This is a great steak alternative for vegetarians, in addition to being a delicious side dish at any type of dinner. From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
- Servings: 8
Source: Mad Hungry, April 2011
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped free of dirt
- 6 to 8 sprigs of fresh herb such as sage or oregano
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
In a baking dish large enough to hold the mushrooms in a single layer, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Lay in mushrooms, top down, and scatter half the fresh herbs on top. Marinate for about 20 minutes.
Prepare an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan. Remove mushrooms from marinade. Grill mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once. Remove from grill to a platter. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over mushrooms, and scatter on the rest of the fresh herbs. Serve hot or at room temperature.