Anita Baker's Smothered Chicken
- Servings: 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (6-pound) chicken, preferably organic, cut into 8 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- Coarse salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 to 2 cups homemade, or low-sodium store-bought, chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy skillet set over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, rubbing it into the skin. Add chicken, skin-side down; cook, turning once, until well browned. Remove, and set aside.
Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the same skillet. Sprinkle in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until golden brown. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet. Cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened. Transfer to a serving platter; garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.