This wonderful recipe for cardamon-roasted cauliflower is courtesy of Suvir Saran and can be found in "American Masala."
- Servings: 8
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2009
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 dried red chiles (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 head cauliflower (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cored and broken into medium florets
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or other large gratin dish with olive oil and set aside.
In a coffee grinder or small food processor, grind together cardamom pods, chiles, coriander, cumin, and whole peppercorns until fine. Mix the spices with oil in a large bowl. Add cauliflower and onion; toss to coat.
Transfer vegetables to prepared baking dish and roast until tender, about 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Season with salt and serve immediately.