Rustic Vegetable Soup
Homemade marinara sauce surrounds a colorful array of vegetables in this sensational soup from Everyday Food associate food editor Lesley Stockton.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced medium (1 cup)
- 1/2 small green cabbage, core removed, diced large (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/4 cups Marinara Sauce (about 1/2 recipe)
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, diced large (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
In a 4-quart heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrot, and cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add marinara sauce and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add zucchini, reduce heat to a rapid simmer, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add cannellini beans and simmer until beans are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup among four bowls and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.