Spinach Oshitashi Style
This chilled side dish is the perfect make-ahead accompaniment to any Asian meal. From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
- 2 bunches of spinach, ends trimmed, washed, with water still clinging to the leaves
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Dash of white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Place the spinach in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Watching it carefully, steam it until the spinach has fully wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander and press out the excess moisture.
In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, sugar, and vinegar. Toss with the spinach until fully coated. Press the spinach into a shallow serving dish. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, if desired. Cover and chill.