Beans-and-Greens Tacos with Goat Cheese
Cannellini beans and chard replace meat as a filling. Goat cheese makes a creamy stand-in for the usual queso fresco.
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2011
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems and ribs removed, leaves washed well and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 white-corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled (2 ounces)
- 8 cilantro sprigs
Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chard, beans, and stock. Cook until greens are wilted and beans are warmed through, about 4 minutes. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
Using tongs, hold each tortilla directly over a gas flame, turning, until heated through, about 5 seconds. (Alternatively, wrap tortillas in foil, and warm in a 350-degree oven.) Spoon filling onto tortillas. Top with cheese and cilantro.