A marinade of tart ponzu and lime juice, jalapenos, and chiles gives this crispy braised chicken its spicy flavor.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2011
- 3/4 cup lime ponzu
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 large tomatoes, halved horizontally and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 jalapenos, quartered lengthwise
- 2 dried chiles de arbol
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and stems separated
- 1 head garlic, cloves divided and unpeeled
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 6 chicken legs, skin on
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mexican Corn Cakes, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved, for serving
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
Place ponzu, lime juice, and tomatoes in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Add jalapenos, chiles, garlic, and red onion; stir to combine. Place chicken legs in a large resealable plastic bag; add ponzu mixture. Tie cilantro stems together with kitchen twine and add to bag with chicken; seal bag and shake to coat. Transfer bag to refrigerator and let marinate overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pour chicken mixture from plastic bag into a roasting pan; turn chicken so that it's skin side up and season with salt and pepper. Cover roasting pan tightly with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil and transfer to oven; bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Uncover chicken and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees and return roasting pan to oven. Cook until chicken is crisp, about 30 minutes. Serve chicken with vegetables in roasting pan, corn cakes, lime wedges, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream; garnish with cilantro leaves.