Orange Sable Dough
Sable is the French word for "sandy." This classic dough produces cookies with a remarkably delicate texture -- they crumble the minute they're in your mouth. Use this dough to make Orange Ginger Rounds.
- 1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons finely grated (2 to 3 oranges) orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Place almonds and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, and set aside.
Place butter and orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until white and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. On low speed, add the almond mixture, and beat until combined, 10 to 15 seconds. Add egg and lemon juice, and combine. Add flour, and beat until combined.
SourceChristmas Cookbook 2003