- 4 (28-ounce) cans whole plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Place tomatoes in the jar of a blender; blend for 15 seconds and set aside.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add shallots and garlic and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add salt, mint, basil, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add tomatoes and 2 cups water; bring to a boil, and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January 2011