- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Shells and heads (if using) from 12 jumbo shrimp
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Thai bird's eye chile
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp shells and heads, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, chile, and tomato paste; cook, stirring, until vegetables are golden. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer; simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a medium saucepan; discard solids. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until reduced by half. Use immediately or cool and keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 3 days.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January 2011