Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May 2009
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large rib celery, leaves attached, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Trimmings and bones from 2 to 3 lean white, non-oily fish
Stick 3 cloves in each onion and transfer to a large pot along with 1 1/2 quarts water, wine, vinegar, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Add fish trimming and bones and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Strain stock through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth into a large pan. Place pan over medium-high heat and reduce to about 8 cups; season with salt.
Cool completely before storing.