Watercress Salad with Carrots and Jicama
Peppery watercress takes on an exotic twist with the flavors of ginger and fresh cilantro leaves in this easy-to-prepare salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2007
FOR THE DRESSING
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 cups watercress, thick stems removed
- 2 small carrots, peeled into ribbons (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled into ribbons (about 1 cup)
Make the dressing: Whisk vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until sugar and salt have dissolved. Add cilantro, jalapeno, and ginger. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
Assemble the salad: Toss watercress, carrots, jicama, and 2 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Divide among plates. Serve remaining dressing on the side.