Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup store-bought low-sodium chicken stock, or as necessary
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 (2- to 3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
Place rice a large bowl; cover with cold water and stir rice gently. Drain and repeat process 4 to 5 times. Cover with cold water again and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and transfer rice to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl; let drain more.
Place tomatoes in the jar of a blender; blend until smooth. Strain and pour into a large measuring cup; add enough chicken stock or water to make 2 2/3 cups.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a medium ovenproof heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves; stir to combine. Add onion and cook, stirring, until reddish in color. Add drained rice and cook, stirring from bottom, about 1 minute. Add tomato liquid and salt; stir and bring to a boil.
Cover saucepan tightly, first with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil, crimping edges, then with a lid. Transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes. Serve.