Tom Valenti's Chicken Stock
This recipe for chicken stock comes from "Welcome to My Kitchen: A New York Chef Shares His Robust Recipes and Secret Techniques," by Tom Valenti.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television, January 2002
- 5 pounds chicken bones (or parts, ideally thighs, wings, and/or necks, may be substituted)
- 1 medium celery stalk, cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 large carrot, cut diagonally into thirds
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 small Spanish onion, cut into large dice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 cups water, or enough to just cover all ingredients
Combine all ingredients in a medium stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, skimming occasionally, for 1 hour. Skim off and discard any impurities that rise to the surface. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids.
Cool to room temperature, and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface.