- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, seeds reserved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce milk chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
Prepare an ice bath; set aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until smooth; whisk in cornstarch mixture.
Combine milk, remaining sugar, and vanilla-bean scrapings in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly pour milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
Return mixture to saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and transfer mixture to a medium heat-proof bowl.
Whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Set bowl in ice bath, stirring occasionally, until chilled. Serve pudding with chocolate shavings on top, if desired.