Spicy Tomato Soup
Serve this soup with garlic bread and vegetables for a simple, healthy dinner.
- 14 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh or dried red chile pepper, seeds removed for less heat
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Parsley leaves, for garnish
Heat broiler with rack in middle position of oven. Strain tomatoes, reserving juices. Spread tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and broil until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
In a food processor, combine browned tomatoes, garlic, chile pepper, carrot, soy milk, reserved tomato juice, and lemon juice; puree until smooth.
Transfer to a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley leaves before serving.