Whole Rhubarb Chutney
Serve chutney as a condiment for pates or roast meats such as pork.
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 2001
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 pound trimmed rhubarb, cut into 6-inch lengths
- 2 celery, cut into 6-inch lengths
Combine onion, raisins, ginger, orange zest, wine, vinegar, and brown sugar in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Add rhubarb and celery; cover; reduce heat. Simmer gently until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart, about 5 minutes.
Remove rhubarb from liquid, and set aside. Continue to simmer liquid until it has thickened and reduced and celery is tender, about 10 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl, and return cooked rhubarb to mixture. Let cool, and chill until needed.