This applesauce is prepared with spices to produce a flavor that resembles the inside of an apple pie.
- 1/4 cup brandy or cider
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- 3 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths
- Pinch of salt
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a 12-by-14-inch roasting pan, or an 11-by-17-inch baking pan, combine the brandy, cinnamon, cloves, lemon juice and zest, brown sugar, and butter. Add all the apples, and toss.
Roast until the apples are very soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer apples to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until smooth. Stir in the salt, and serve warm.
SourceMartha Stewart Living Television