Pierre's Mac and Cheese
A crispy Parmesan crust tops this extra-creamy mac and cheese from Martha's former chef Pierre Schaedelin.
- Servings: 6
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 6036
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, heated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Comte cheese
- 1/2 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese plus 1/2 cup cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Parmesan Crisp, crumbled
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a simmer and continue whisking until sauce has thickened, about 10 minute. Whisk in heavy cream and return to a simmer.
In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack, Gruyere, Comte, and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheeses. Whisk cheese into simmering milk mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition melt before adding the next. Add 2 teaspoons salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; generously season with salt and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add about 3/4 of the cheese sauce to bowl with pasta and fold to combine. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped cheddar cheese and remaining sauce as necessary. Top with crumbled Parmesan crisp and serve immediately.