This cinnamon-vanilla rice drink is a frothy Mexican classic. Rice flour offers a nice shortcut, eliminating the customary need to soak grains of rice overnight and grind them. Condensed milk gives the blend sweetness. For a spiked version, stir in a little rum.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup rice or almond flour (bobsredmill.com)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark or light rum (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Garnish: ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks
Bring whole milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl. Whisk in condensed milk, flour, and vanilla. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Strain mixture through a fine sieve, and stir in rum if using. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks.