Savory Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- Smoked Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup lager beer
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Gouda cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 pound stale white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fine dried breadcrumbs
Heat oil in a large deep skillet over high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and have given off any liquid, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beer to deglaze pan and cook, stirring, until mixture is almost dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined. Add onion-mushroom mixture and cheeses; stir to combine. Add bread cubes and let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; add bread crumbs, shaking baking dish to coat. Pour egg mixture into baking dish and cover with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until pudding rises, is firm in the center and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, November 2010